Sunday, April 27, 2008

there are hard things

He knew it would end badly. But it had to be. It just felt awkward for John Paul that he was the one, who'd turned in to everything he never meant to be.

"Are you keeping secrets from me?" Quintin's dead stare made it hard for John Paul to concentrate on the moment. The moment when everything kept crashing in. But it had to be this way.

"I'm sorry-"

"Just shut it!" The pain in Quintin's face was overwhelming. "How long has it been going on?" He was throwing John Paul's things on the floor of their bedroom.

"Please, you have to believe me. Its for the best. I'm sorry I lead you on. I really wanted it to work. You and me." He swallowed the pain, too. Quintin really was perfect in so many ways, but he wasn't Kieron. "I'm sorry."

"That doesn't cut it." Quintin looked at John Paul. "You used me."

"I didn't." He didn't want to believe that. "I thought-"

"You're sleeping with a priest!" His words made John Paul's ears burn.

"Not anymore. He's not a priest anymore." It wasn't true yet, but it would be. John Paul believed it. It would happen. He wouldn't be left hanging with no where to go, like it had been with John Paul.

"You think he'll leave that all behind for you?" Quintin squinted.

No comments: