Sunday, April 20, 2008

hello goodbye

John Paul walked the streets pondering his life away with Kieron. Would it really ever happen. Could they make it to Canada, somehow? They had too. But how would he tell Quintin about his future? Where would he go until Kieron worked it all out on his end?

Why couldn't they just leave this morning? So many questions and all this time on his hands. It was overwhelming. He didn't know where to start first so he called Chloe.

Of course, she was asleep, but she took his phone call.

"I'm so sorry, really I should have waited." He kept pacing the streets, going no where.

"Its quite all right," she told him softly. "Is something the matter?"

"No, not really," he sighed with a smile. "Actually, its good news, but its getting it all in order thats the rough part, I'm afraid."

"What's going on, John Paul?"

"I'm leaving with Kieron, and we're going to Canada." He felt so happy saying those words. His smile just couldn't stop.

"Canada? When?" She sounded excited too and it gave him the desire to set everything straight with Quintin so that would be over for good.

"That, I don't know. Soon. Hopefully." He told her. "its just I have to tell Quintin. Everything. And I'm not sure I can. I want to be honest, but I'm sure it'll hurt him so much. I hadn't meant for that to happen, quite honestly."

"You'll feel better once you've told him."

"I will?" He didn't think so.

"I did." She smiled. "Truth is, I told him what I had to tell him. I didn't tell him exactly everything. I spared him a few details, but I cried. It seems everything makes me cry at the moment."

"Are you crying right now?" John Paul wasn't sure. He thought she'd been laughing perhaps, but he guessed not.

"Yes." She sighed. "I'm pregnant."

"What?" This left a lump in his throat. He could only think of one person as the father. "No, don't tell me-"

"Craig's gonna be a father, John Paul," she said.

There was a silence for the longest moment. John Paul felt numb.

"Are you sure?" He finally asked.

"Yes."

"Congratulation are in order." He hardly had the voice to say it. "I hope he's happy."

"I think so."

"Thank you, Chloe." He finally breathed. "For everything. I only wish you the best." He fought back the sting in his throat. He couldn't shed a tear about this. He wouldn't let himself. "Tell Craig, Hello." He gave a quick smile then shut his phone and walked on.

No comments: